As you begin planning a baby shower, you many want to check out our baby shower menu ideas. While of course, the baby shower gifts are important, everyone looks forward to the food that will be served!
Who's Bringing What?
Obviously the cake is probably the most important baby shower menu item, but there should be a nice selection of other foods as well. As you and your friends plan a baby shower, you'll need to decide who will bring what dish to the shower. Some points to consider:
- Choose who will bring what carefully. Some people simply don't enjoy baking, but they can make a mean fruit salad! For those who simply don't have time to cook, assign them the job of picking up chips and dip at the local market, or ask them to be in charge of the plates, cups, etc.
- Cost should be considered.-Some food items will be more expensive than others. If you are planning on serving deli meats and cheeses, don't put the expense of these items on one person. Ask two or three people to go in together.
- Create a budget. Instead of asking people to pay for things individually with no clue as to how much everyone spent, you can always ask everyone to keep a record of how much they spent, add everything together, divide by the number of hostesses, and in this way, everyone is out the same amount of money.
When you and your friends begin planning the baby shower, have a brainstorming session first.
- Ask everyone to think about the baby showers that they've attended.
- What impressed them the most about the food?
- What foods were hits at the shower?
- Assign one person to take notes and jot down the different food ideas.
- Then, discuss each item openly.
- Continue discussing the different selections until you've narrowed down your choices and created a menu.
- Remember, you may not be able to please everyone, but you should be able to create a pleasing baby shower menu that's sure to be popular with the guests!
Menu Ideas for a Baby Shower
Popular baby shower menu items include the following:
- Finger Sandwiches
- Deli Meat/Cheese Tray
- Vegetable Tray
Baby Shower Cake
In most cases, the cake is ordered from a bakery specializing in special order cakes. Be sure you ask around for recommendations, visit the bakery, and taste the goods before you order a cake sight unseen.
While of course, you can and probably should offer a variety of beverages, including bottled water, soft drinks, and diet colas, punch is always a popular drink at baby showers. Check out the following easy punch recipe:
- Two packages lemon lime Koolaid
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 quarts water
- Two 2 liter bottles of 7Up
- 1 large can pineapple juice
- 1/2 gallon pineapple sherbert
Mix the above ingredients, and add more 7-Up if you wish. This recipe makes about 3o servings.
You can always arrange an attractive fruit tray filled with a variety of fruits, but why not consider making a fruit mold that is both beautiful to look at and delicious to eat? Check out the following recipe:
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 pkg. (8-serving size) JELL-O Brand Cranberry Flavor Sugar Free Low Calorie Gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups cold diet ginger ale or water
- 2 cups green and/or red seedless grapes halves
- 1 can (11 oz.) mandarin orange segments, drained
Stir boiling water into gelatin in large bowl at least two minutes until completely dissolved. Stir in cold diet ginger ale. Refrigerate about 1-1/2 hours or until thickened (spoon drawn through leaves definite impression).
Stir in grapes and oranges. Pour into 6-cup mold sprayed with cooking spray.
Refrigerate four hours or until firm. Unmold, and store leftover gelatin mold in refrigerator.
For more great fruit mold ideas, please check out LoveToKnowRecipes!
Finger Sandwich Recipe
Wondering what type of finger sandwiches to serve at the baby shower? Check out the following two recipes for help!Cucumber Sandwiches
- 1 pound of cucumbers
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoon mayonnaise
- 1/8 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 loaf multi grain bread
Cut cucumbers in half horizontally. Peel, seed and shred one half of the cucumber. Measure a 1/3 cup of shredded cucumber, and slice the remaining cucumber for garnish. Cut slices in half and set aside. Combine cream cheese, mayonnaise and seasoned salt, mixing until blended. Stir in shredded cucumber. Cut two 2-inch rounds from each bread slice. Spread each bread slice with 1 teaspoon of the cucumber spread. Garnish each sandwich with a thin slice of cucumber. This recipe yields about 45 sandwiches.
Smoked Salmon Roll-ups
- 4 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon
- 4 ounces fat-free cream cheese
- 1 nag of watercress or arugula
- Black pepper to taste
- Lemon wedges
Spread each slice of smoked salmon with fat free cream cheese. Sprinkle with pepper if desired. Carefully roll up each slice like a jelly roll. Cut rolls into 1/2-inch slices. Chill until ready to serve. Place rolls on a platter with watercress or arugula and lemon wedges.
Easy Brownie Recipe
Brownies are always a hit. Of course, there are lots of delicious brownie mixes that will do just fine, but check out the following easy brownie recipe.
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup walnut halves
Melt the butter or margarine and mix all ingredients in the order given. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 30 minutes in a 9 x 13 inch greased pan.