Short boy names can be cute and sweet or cool and strong. Some short names for boys were made with five or fewer letters, while others are first names that were once only used as nicknames for longer boy names.
Powerful Two-Letter Short Names for Boys
One syllable names for boys sound strong and powerful when you say them. If you're really bold, consider a one-letter name like Q or J. If you aren't quite ready to go that short, give these short male names a try.
Simple Three-Letter Names for Boys
If you want a simple name for your son with one or two syllables that is easy to spell, a three-letter name might be ideal. Explore these short masculine names from every letter of the alphabet to find one that speaks to you.
Cute Short Boy Names Starting With the Letters A Through D
From Abe to Duc, these short names from the beginning of the alphabet are easy to say and spell. Roll a few of these classic short boy names over your tongue to see if they fit.
Cool Boy Names From E to J That Have Three Letters
Short names like these are unique, and they have a cool vibe that proves less is more.
Handsome Three-Letter Names for Boys From K to N
Short boy names from this part of the alphabet tend to have a handsome sound because many start and end with a consonant. From Kam to Nic, see if any of these short masculine boy names have the original sound you are looking for.
Short and Strong Masculine Boy Names Starting With O Through S
Strong baby boy names can be found throughout the alphabet and don't have to be big to make a big impact.
Short Male Names With Three Letters From T to Z
Names that start with letters at the end of the alphabet are uncommon and cute. These names are sure to add a unique twist to your little one's moniker.
Rare Short Names for Boys and Their Meanings
Short names can have anywhere from one to five letters. Many short names are common as first names, middle names, or nicknames for boys, but you can find some rare short names if you prefer something more distinctive.
Unique Short Names for Boys
Classic short boy names like John, Luke, and Mark have been popular throughout history. The following names are much less common, but they have the potential to be trendy.
- Afon - Meaning "river" in Welsh, Afon has similar sounds to old names like Alfred and modern names like rapper Akon.
- Agni - Sanskrit for "fire," Agni is the mythological name of an ancient Hindu fire god that mimics the ending sound of other common short names such as Danny or Jesse.
- Anso - This ancient Germanic name means "god" and resembles trendy names like Enzo.
- Cenk - An ancient Turkish word for "battle," Cenk is a unique name that sounds similar to Hank.
- Dren - Meaning "deer" in Albanian, this nature name resembles common names such as Dan or Ben.
- Edom - If you like Adam or Domenic, Edom, which means "red," could be a great, uncommon option.
- Idan - Similar to names like Ian or Aiden, Idan means "era" in Hebrew.
- Kemp - Meaning "champion, athlete, or warrior," it's a wonder Kemp isn't a more common boy name.
- Lior - This Hebrew word meaning "light for me" is a sweet option for beloved little boys.
- Malo - Breton for "bright pledge," Malo has an islander feel to it.
- Naël - This French name means "gift of God" and sounds similar to names such as Niall.
- Olek - This is the Polish short form of the name Alexander, which means "defending men."
- Pons - A rare French name, Pons is a short form of Pontius, which means "of the sea."
- Reko - This Finnish short form of Gregory means "watchful."
- Soth - Meaning "pure" in Khmer, Soth sounds like the cooler cousin of Seth.
- Wira - If you like strong boy names, Wira is a great option because it means "hero" in Indonesian and Malay.
Five-Letter Unique Short Names for Boys
If you like shorter names that have multiple syllables, you might want to choose a five-letter name for your little guy.
- Aibek - Meaning "moon master" in Turkish, Aibek might overthrow Aiden as a top name in the future.
- Baris - In Turkish, Baris means "peace, " making it an ideal wish for your little boy.
- Draza - This Serbian name means "precious" and resembles strong names like Drake or Drago.
- Elcin - Meaning "ambassador" in Azerbaijani, Elcin is a great alternative for other short "E" names such as Ethan.
- Ganix - This Basque variant of John means "God is gracious" and can be pronounced "gah-nicks."
- Jothi - Replace names like Josh with cooler "J" names such as Jothi, which means "remove the darkness."
- Rajko - Slavic for "paradise," Rajko is a great exotic name for boys from all cultures.
- Tonis - This is the Estonian version of Anthony, whose meaning is unknown.
- Stian - Meaning "wanderer" in Old Norse, Stian is reminiscent of names like Ryan.
- Vidar - Old Norse for "wide warrior," Vidar is one of Odin's sons.
- Yidel - Meaning "praise," this Yiddish name is strong and sweet.
- Zimri - This Biblical name means "my praise" or "my music" and sounds like it should be a rock star's name.
Short and Cute Names for Your Precious Son
Choosing a name for your baby boy is not easy, especially when there are so many great options from around the world to consider. If you love short names, these options will give you plenty to think about in your search for the perfect succinct name.