Choosing your son's name is a big deal, so congrats on landing on James! This classic, timeless name is a winner on so many levels. Not only is James a solid pick, but the nicknames for James are just as great.
Timeless Nicknames for James
James has been a commonly used name for hundreds of years, so it is no surprise that there are tons of timeless nicknames to compliment the moniker.
- Jim- Common nickname since the 1800s
- Jake- Taken from the original Hebrew name Jacob
- J.J. (If the middle name also starts with a "J")
- Seamus - The Irish form of James, interesting idea for babies with Irish blood
- Hamish - A traditional Scottish form of James that also means "honey" in Yiddish
Fun and Silly Nicknames for James
While James is a traditional name, you can let loose and get creative with a fun nickname for your son.
- Jimmy Crack Corn
- Santi (Taken from the Spanish translation of James: Santiago)
Nicknames for James Inspired by Famous Works
So many great works have included the name James. Play on famous books, movies, and actors to come up with a perfect nickname.
- Baby Bond (After James Bond)
- Little Jesse James (After the infamous Jesse James)
- James the Giant (For a bigger baby, referencing the movie James and the Giant Peach)
- Handsome J.D. (Reference the iconic, dreamy James Dean)
- Little King (As King James was a famous King in history)
- Baby Dynamite (Nickname after iconic James Brown's own nickname, Mr. Dynamite)
- R.J. (Inspired by Rick James, a popular musician)
Nicknames for James Inspired by Song
You'll find lots of inspiration in music, as well.
- Cool James (A Harvey Danger song)
- Sweet Baby James (After a famous song by James Taylor)
- Little James (Title of a song by the band Oasis)
- James Dean (Hot song by the band The Eagles)
- St. Jimmy (Song by the band Green Day)
- Rusty James (Also by Green Day)
- Jimmy Mack (Sheena Easton song)
- Jimmy Jazz (Song by The Clash)
Celebrities Who Named Their Babies James
James is loved by the common public and famous parents alike. These stars landed on James as the perfect name for their bundle of joy.
- Actors Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds named their daughter James
- Actor Colin Farrell has a son named James with model Kim Bordenave
- Actors Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick have three children, including a son named James
- Rock Icon Mick Jaggar and model Jerry Hall have a grown son together, whose name is James
- Paul McCartney's son is named James
James: A Name Rooted in Class and Tradition
The name James is elegant, strong, and steeped in rich history in many parts of the world. The short and classic name initially stemmed from the Hebrew name, Jacob. The name James means "to supplant," and plenty of "Jameses" in history have come through nations to become mighty rulers. Perhaps the most infamous ruler named James was King James I. James has long been a widely used name in many parts of Europe as well as in North America, (six presidents in history have been named James.) It is used commonly for both first and middle names with boys and occasionally (thanks to trending celebrities like Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds) with females.
Nicknames Need to Only Please You
When you have a baby, suddenly everyone has an opinion about everything, including the names that you choose. When choosing a birth name and a nickname, remember to please yourself first, not your mother, siblings, besties, or in-laws. So long as the name and nicknames make you smile, you can rest assured that you made a perfect choice.