The name Robert is a classic, and people have been giving it to their baby boys for centuries. One of the special things about this name is that it comes with so many great nicknames. One of these nicknames for Robert is sure to hit the mark and make your nickname list.
Traditional Nicknames for Robert
One of the greatest things about the name Robert is that while it remains a traditional first name, it comes with a bevvy of fun nicknames. In choosing Robert, you get a great first name to grow into as well as creative and cute nicknames to also call your son by. Robert is a name that comes with several common or traditional nicknames to choose from. These nicknames allow your son to choose from two great names to go by as he grows up, his full name or his nickname.
Fun and Funky Nicknames for Robert
If traditional nicknames aren't the direction that you want to go in, think about choosing a unique nickname for your son. This was he has a traditional birth name and a fun and funky nickname to use. It's the best of both worlds.
- Hob (Medieval English)
- Hobson (Medieval English)
- Little King (after the many great kings named Robert)
Robert in Other Languages
Tap into your heritage and culture and consider nicknaming your son something that translates to Robert in another language.
- Roberto (Portuguese)
- Robertson (Danish)
- Rabbie (Scottish)
- Rab (Scottish)
- Robi (Hungarian)
- Berto (Spanish)
- Rooperrti (Finnish)
- Roope (Finnish)
- Robin (French)
Nicknames for Robert Inspired by Song
For music lovers, plenty of popular songs have the name Robert in them. These nicknames pay homage to some of our favorite artists and tunes.
- Billy Bob (an ode to the honky-tonk musical genre)
- Marley (inspired by famous Reggae musician Bob Marley)
- Rob-Zom (after heavy metal artist Rob Zombie)
- Rambling Rob (song by The Pretenders)
- Bobby Mcgee (Janis Joplin song)
- Bobby J. (perfect for Springsteen fans. Bruce Springsteen penned a song called Bobby Jean)
- Dr. Rob (inspired by the Beatles song, Dr. Robert)
- Cowboy Boy (reference to song)
- "Bob"-a-lula (play on the song Be-Bop-A-Lula by Gene Vincent)
- Bobby Soxer (song by Chuck Berry)
- Bobby B (song written and performed by B.B. King)
Nicknames for Robert Inspired by Fictional Characters
Books, shows, and movies can be inspirations for nicknames too! These nicknames for Robert all stemmed from fictional characters.
- Bob the Builder (inspired by a children's television show.)
- Sponge Bob
- Crocker (inspired by Bobby Croker character in Kojack)
- Sideshow (after a character in The Simpsons)
- Ricky Bobby (inspired by the movie Talladega Nights)
- Handsome Bob (Tom Hardy film character)
- Sarg (after Sargent Bob Barnes in the movie Platoon)
- Iceman (a character in the X-Men series whose name is Bobby Drake)
- Swiftie (named after a race car, Bobby Swift, in Disney's Cars 3)
Origins of Robert
The name Robert is a sturdy and strong name to give any son. The name is widely used in several countries, but it has Germanic roots and means "fame and bright." The name has been common in England since the 13th century. In the United States, it grew to popularity in the 1920s and 30s, again in the 50s, and then experienced another surge in the 80s.
Most Important Thing in a Nickname
Of all the aspects of choosing a nickname that you might consider, the most important one is always to be happy with it. If it works for you, it will work for the world. Not everyone will love or even understand your choice of nickname, but if you get it and you think it's grand, then rest assure you have made a perfect choice.