One-syllable girl names are typically easy to spell and can serve as both the full name and the nickname for your little girl. Short, cute names can be classic and beautiful or unique and rare. You can even combine two or three of these names to create your own original long name. There are so many amazing baby names that make a statement with just a single syllable.
Cute One-Syllable Female Names
Give your little one a darling name to match her adorable looks and personality. Cute baby girl names seem to exude a sense of approachability and happiness.
- Blair - (Gaelic) - Means "field"
- Claire/Clair - (Latin) - Means "clear"
- Dor - (English from Greek) - Means "gift from God"
- Dove - (English) - Means "peace"
- Kate - (Greek) - Means "pure"
- Kit - (Greek) - Means "pure"
- Lil - (English) - Means "purity"
- Meg - (Greek) - Means "pearl"
- Pip - (Greek) - Means "friend of horses"
Pretty One-Syllable Girl Names
Many beautiful names for girls are long, but there are short names that evoke beauty too. If you want a classic feminine feel for your baby's name, these short and pretty monikers are perfect options.
- Belle - (French) - Means "beautiful"
- Elle/El - (French) - Means "she"
- Eve - (Hebrew) - Means "to breathe"
- Grace - (Latin) Means "to favor"
- Hope - (English) - Means "to want"
- Joy - (French) - Means "delight"
- June - (Indo-European) - Means "youth"
- Mae/May - (Hebrew) - Means "bitter"
Vintage One-Syllable Girl Names
Feminine names tend to get used in cycles. What's popular one decade fades for a few, then makes a comeback as people look for old-fashioned girl names to give their infants. These vintage baby girl names might sound familiar to you, but they stand out from the current trendy names.
- Barb - (Greek) - Means "foreign"
- Bea - (Latin) - Means "voyager"
- Bess - (English) - Means "pledged to God"
- Blanche - (French) - Means "white, fair"
- Blythe - (English) - Means "cheerful"
- Dawn - (English) - Means "first light"
- Dee - (Welsh) - Means "swarthy"
- Fay/Faye - (English) - Means "fairy"
- Gail/Gale - (Hebrew) - Means "joy"
- Gwen - (Welsh) - Means "blessed"
- Jean - (Hebrew) - Means "to be gracious"
- Jill - (Latin) - Means "youthful"
- Joan - (English from Hebrew) - Means "Yahweh is gracious"
- Joyce - (English) - Means "Lord"
- Kay - (Greek) - Means "pure"
- Maud/Maude - (Germanic) - Means "strength in battle"
- Marge - (Greek) - Means "pearl"
- Nell/Nelle - (English) - Means "shining one"
- Pam - (Greek) - Means "all"
- Ruth - (Hebrew) - Means "friend"
Female Celebrity Names With One Syllable
Some of the most famous women in the world are recognized by their one-syllable real or stage name. Make your baby girl the star of the show with a single syllable girl name inspired by celebrities.
- Bette - Name of American singer - Means "God is my oath"
- Björk - Name of Icelandic singer/songwriter - Means "birch tree"
- Blake - Name American actress - Means "pale"
- Bo - Name of American model/actress Bo Derek - Means "to live"
- Brie - Name of American actress Brie Larson - Means "power"
- Cher - Name of American singer - Means "darling"
- Joss - Name of English singer/songwriter - Means "the merry one"
- Kat - Name of actress Kat Dennings - Means "pure"
- Liz - Name of American actress Liz Taylor - Means "my God is an oath"
- Lorde - Name of New Zealand singer - Means "loaf-keeper"
- Meg - Name of American actress Meg Ryan - Means "pearl"
- Paz - Name of Spanish Actress Paz Vega - Means "peace"
- Pink - Name of American singer - Means "light red color" and "healthy"
- Reese - Name of American actress Reese Witherspoon - Means "enthusiasm"
One-Syllable Celebrity Baby Names for Girls
If you're a fan of celebrities, but want a name that's a little more unique, consider the names famous couples have given their baby girls in recent years. Celebrity baby names are often unique and original because famous people thrive in a creative environment and love choosing such bold monikers.
- Banks/Banx - Child of celebrity parents Hillary Duff and Matthew Koma - Name means "lives by a hillside"
- Blue/Blu - Daughter of musicians Beyonce and Jay Z - Name means the color blue
- Dream - Daughter of celebrities Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna - Name means "wish"
- Hart/Heart - Child of Scooter Braun & Yael Cohen - Name means "strong"
- North - Daughter of celebrities Kim Kardashian & Kanye West - Name means "up/above"
- Ray/Rae/Rey - Child of celebrities Lisa Ling & Paul Song - Name means "advice"
- Sloane/Sloan - Child of Macklemore & Tricia Davis - Name means "raid"
- True - Daughter of Khloe Kardashian & Tristan Thompson - Name means "loyal" and "faithful"
Unique Girls' Nicknames That Make Great First Names
If you love a particular nickname, why not use it as your little girl's first name? A shortened form of a common and popular name can be used as a rare, one-syllable baby name, not just a nickname.
- Beth - (Greek) Short for Elizabeth - Means "God is an oath"
- Britt - (Scandinavian) Short for Brittany - Means "exalted one"
- Char - (Germanic) Short for Charlotte - Means "warrior"
- Fran - (Latin) Short for Francis - Means "Frenchman"
- Jan - (Hebrew) Short for Janet - Means "Yahweh is gracious"
- Kim - (English) Short for Kimberly - Means "Cyneburga's field"
- Line - (French) Short for Caroline - Means "free woman"
- Liv - (Old Norse) Short for Olivia - Means "protection"
- Nan - (Latin from Greek) Short for Nancy - Means "chaste"
- Ness - (Irish) Short for Vanessa - Means "not gentle"
- Peg - (Greek) Short for Peggy - Means "pearl"
- Tess - (Greek) Short for Tessa - Means "summer"
- Trish - (Latin) Short for Trisha - Means "noblewoman"
- Val - (Latin) Short for Valerie - Means "be strong"
- Vi - (Latin) Short for Violet - Name of the flower
Powerful Single Syllable Unisex Names
Gender-neutral names can work for a baby boy or a little lady. While these names are often associated with baby boys, they make great one-syllable girl names as well!
- Bryce - (Gaelic) - Means "quick" or "speedy"
- Gabe - (Hebrew) - Means "hero"
- Jo - (German from Hebrew) - Means "Yahweh is gracious"
- Kris - (English or Danish) - Means "a Christian"
- Kyle - (Gaelic) - Means "narrows"
- Lou - (French from Germanic) - Means "famous"
- Max - (Latin) - Means "greatest"
- Quinn - (Irish) - Means "chief's descendant"
- Shane - (Irish from Hebrew) - Means "Yahweh is gracious"
- Shaun/Shawn - (Irish from Hebrew) - Means "Yahweh is gracious"
One-Syllable Nature Names for Girls
Get inspired by the natural world around you with beautiful baby names inspired by nature. Go beyond Rose, Lily, and other flower names to find creative names from the natural world that make unique one-syllable girl names.
- Brooke/Brooke - (English) - Means "lives near a brook"
- Fleur - (French) - Means "flower"
- Gem/Jem - (English) - Means "precious stone"
- Jade/Jaide - (Spanish) - Means "stone of the flank"
- Lake/Laike - (Latin) - Means "body of water"
- Maize - (Spanish) - Yellow color
- Mist/Myst - (Norse) - Means "cloud"
- Pearl/Perl - (Latin) - Means "precious"
- Reign/Raine - (French) - Means "queen"
- Sage/Saige - (English) - Means "wise"
Celestial Monosyllabic Names for Girls
Aim high for your baby girl with a name plucked straight from the atmosphere or outer space. The sky's the limit when it comes to these ethereal names.
- Cloud - (Middle English) - Means "mass of rock"
- Moon - (Middle English) - Means "behave in a dreamy way"
- Neap - (Middle English) - Means "neap tide occurs at first and last quarter moon"
- Rille - (Germanic) - Means "grooves in the moon's surface"
- Sky/Skye - (Old Norse) - Means "cloud"
- Star - (Latin) - Means "heavenly body"
- Trine - (Latin) - Means "one-third of a circle position from another planet"
One-Syllable Animal Names for Girls
Look to interesting animal names in your baby name search. These choices all sound similar to common girl names, so they won't come off as over the top or too far out there.
- Brille - (European) - Means "flatfish"
- Fawn/Faun - (North and South American) - Means "baby deer"
- Guan - (South American) - Means "game birds"
- Kiang - (Tibetan) - Means "horse-like"
- Lark - (African) - Means "singing bird"
- Mare - (Worldwide) - Means "horse-like"
- Midge - (Worldwide) - Means "small fly"
- Sole - (European) - Means "fish"
- Swan - (North American hemisphere) - Means "large waterfowl"
- Wrasse - (Worldwide) - Means "fish"
- Wren - (Worldwide) - Means "small brown bird"
Single Syllable Goddess Names for Girls
Elevate your little girl to goddess status with a powerful mythological name. Look at the stories and traits of your favorite goddesses and choose a name that best suits your baby.
- Bast - (Egyptian goddess of cats and sun) - Means "fire and sun"
- Frigg - (Norse Goddess of the earth, wife of Odin) - Means "beloved"
- Gerd - (Norse fertility Goddess and frost giant) - Means "enclosure"
- Grid - (Norse frost giantess and mother of one of Odin's sons) - Means "peace"
- Maeve - (Legendary Irish warrior queen) - Means "intoxicating"
- Nyx - (Greek Goddess of night) - Means "night"
- Pax - (Roman Goddess of peace) - Means "peace"
- Shri - (Alternate name for Hindu Goddess Lakshmi) - Means "radiance and beauty"
- Siv - (Old Norse wife of Thor) - Means "bride"
Multicultural Baby Girl Names With One Syllable
Girl names that are popular in other countries or cultures give your little girl worldly flair. Consider your heritage when choosing a multicultural name, or pick the one that sounds best to you.
- Brynn - (Welsh) - Means "hill"
- Cho - (Japanese) - Means "butterfly"
- Kai - (Hawaiian) - Means "sea"
- Lei - (Hawaiian) - Means "flowers" or "child"
- Luce - (Italian) - Means "light"
- Luz - (Spanish) - Means "light"
- Mai - (Japanese) - Means "dance"
- Mar - (Spanish/Catalan) - Means "sea"
- Mor - (Irish) - Means "great"
- Nives - (Italian from Spanish) - Means "snows"
- Nur - (Arabic) - Means "light"
- Pao - (Spanish from Italian) - Means "humble"
- Shu - (Chinese) - Means "good" and "pure"
One-Syllable Music Names for Girls
If you love music, look to musical terms and genres for name inspiration. These unique musical names won't guarantee your child becomes a musical prodigy, but they do convey a melodious feeling.
- Gigue - Dance from Baroque period
- Harp - Stringed instrument
- Hymn - Song of religious worship
- Jazz - Music genre
- Khlui/Khloy - Thai flute
- Lyre - Stringed instrument
- Più - Musical term meaning "more of"
- Shawm - Wind instrument
- Ska - Music genre
- Trance - Music genre
- Trill - Two notes in quick succession
- Xun - Chinese vessel flute
One-Syllable Words That Make Unique Girl Names
One-syllable words with specific desired meanings can also be great names for baby girls. The definition of the word should be inspiring to you and your baby or speak to your particular birth circumstances. Colorful names and deeply meaningful words make the best names for girls.
- Bliss - Happiness
- Faith - Trust
- Fate - Destiny
- Jaune - "Yellow" in French
- Lace - Netted fabric
- Love - Deep affection
- Peach - Nude color
- Rouge - "Red" in French
- Shine - Brightness
- Song - Musical piece
- Teal - Greenish/blue color
- Truth - Proven fact
- Zen - Peaceful
One-Syllable Locale Names for Girls
Parents who like to travel love names based on places for girls. Think about your favorite cities and countries to find a name that fits the new member of your family.
- Keil - City in Germany
- Laos - Asian country
- Leeds - City in the United Kingdom
- Lille - City in France
- Rye - City in Colorado
- Seoul - City in South Korea
- Vail - City in Colorado
Female Book and Movie Characters With Monosyllabic Names
Female book and movie characters often have unique and powerful personalities, and their names can evoke the spirit of the character in your little girl. Use film and literature to arrive at an inspiring and strong one-syllable girl name for the main character in your life.
- Fern - Main character in Charlotte's Web - Means "from afar"
- Lux - Character from The Virgin Suicides - Means "light"
- Pris - Character from Blade Runner - Means "ancient"
- Prynne - After the character Hester Prynne in The Scarlett Letter
- Shug - Character from The Color Purple - Means "heart"
- Tris - Main character in The Divergent Trilogy - Means "voyager"
Female Video Game Characters With Monosyllabic Names
Female video game characters are often fearless and bold. Check out the character's persona in the game to see if it's a match for your baby girl.
- Bonne - From King of Fighters - Means "good"
- Chell - From Half-Life - Means "Who is like God?"
- Chie - From Persona 4 - Means "thousand branches"
- Fir - From Guild Wars 2 - Means "mercy"
- Jinx - From League of Legends" - Means "spell"
- Reith - From Magna Carta - Means "crossing"
- Rogue - From X-Men - Means "arrogant"
- Sheik - From Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Means "chief"
- Storm - From X-Men - Refers to strong weather
Dark Names With One Syllable for Girls
If you like gothic baby names or evil baby names, a dark name might be right for your baby. These short names have a dark and sometimes mysterious feeling about them, without being scary or unpleasant.
- Ash - Means "fire residue"
- Hex - Means "bad spell"
- Lwa - Refers to primary spirits of Voodoo
- Melns - Means "black" in Latvian
- Noire/Noir - Means "black" in French
- Rue - Means "regret"
- Tume - Means "dark" in Estonian
Unique Baby Girl Names With One Syllable
When you want your little girl to stand out in a good way, a one-syllable unique baby girl name gets the job done. Your daughter won't have a lot of classmates sharing these names, but they're still easy to say and pronounce because they're so short.
- Brae- Invented name
- Ceil - Means "sky" in French
- Clove - Aromatic flower buds
- Dell - Means "one who lives in a valley"
- Fate - Means "destiny"
- Greer - (Greek) - Means "watchful"
- Gwyn - (Welsh) - Means "blessed"
- Isle - Means "small island"
- Lorne - an ancient province in Scotland
- Neve/Nev - (Irish) - Means "saint"
- Prue/Pru - (Latin) - Means "wise"
- Royce - (Germanic) - Means "famous type"
- Shirl - (English) - Means "bright clearing"
Original One-Syllable Baby Girl Names
Looking at lists of baby girl names can be overwhelming, but it can also help inspire you to invent your own original baby name. These original names are similar to other more common girl names but don't have meanings yet.
- Ames - Similar to Amy
- Aure- Similar to Aurora or Aurelia
- Lethe - Similar to Lette
- Phebe - Similar to Phoebe
- Ress - Similar to Jess or Reza
- Shra/Shrah - Similar to Shara and Sara
- Thryn - Similar to Katherine
- Vette - Similar to Yevette
- Zahr - Similar to Zahara
Popular One-Syllable Middle Names for Girls
One-syllable middle names are popular because they fit nicely with a variety of first names. You can use classic monosyllabic middle names as first names, or pair two together to make a first-middle name combo you'll call your girl, like Grey Lynn.
- Anne/Ann - (Hebrew) - Means "grace"
- Bea - (American) - Means "blessed"
- Grey - (English) - Color word
- Jane - (Hebrew) - Means "Yahweh is gracious"
- Leigh/Lee - (English) - Means "clearing"
- Lynn/Lyn - (Welsh) - Means "lake"
- Rose - (Old English) - Means "famous type"
- Sue - (Hebrew) - Means "lily"
Short Names With Big Impact
The meaning of names, whether short or long, can have a big impact no matter which name spelling you choose. Whether you want a modern and unique name or something inspired by the past, one-syllable girl names may be short in length, but they are meaningful and strong.