If you're hosting a baby shower, it's a good idea to use yard signs to tell guests they're in the right place. You can also place a fun welcome sign on your front door, or add a banner to the baby shower decorations to enhance the festive mood of your gathering. There are lots of resources for purchasing these signs, or you can make a sign if you're feeling crafty.
Yard Signs for Baby Showers
Yard signs are large markers that tell guests where the party is, or inform them of the best place to park. If you have a baby shower theme, you can purchase a yard sign to go with it. Alternatively, you can choose a sign that advertises the baby's gender or has a cute motif. There are lots of great options.
Purchasing a Yard Sign
If you're planning to purchase a sign, consider one of these great options:
- Woodland Animals Yard Sign - This sign from Zazzle is a fun, affordable choice. It measures 12-inches by 18-inches, and you can customize the text and have it printed up and shipped to your door. This custom sign costs about $25.
- Shower Yard Sign - For an easy, affordable choice, pick a sign that you don't need to personalize. This 12-inch by 15-inch yard sign, sold by Amazon, has gender-neutral colors and cute teddy bears. It reads "Baby Shower." It's only $3.
- Stork Wind Wheel Yard Sign - If you really want to catch people's attention, this stork sign from Party at Lewis is the ultimate choice. Available in pink or blue, it features a 31-inch by 48-inch white stork with a tail that spins in the wind. It retails for $13.50.
- Custom Lawn Sign - This custom design from VistaPrint features a gender-neutral color scheme and a white stork. You can choose your message, as well as customize the sign with the name of the mom-to-be. If you want, you can even add a photo. The sign is 12-inches by 18-inches and retails for about $6.
Making a Rustic Yard Sign
It's easy to make a painted yard sign. All you need is some scrap 1 x 4 lumber and a post, white spray paint, colored paint, brushes, and a hammer and nails. You don't have to be particularly handy with tools, since the idea is for this sign to have a rough, rustic appearance.
- Cut the 1 x 4 lumber into three strips, each around 18-inches long. There's no need to be exact in your measurements or have your cuts be neat.
- Nail one of these pieces near the top of the post, nailing roughly through the middle of the board. You'll need at least two nails to hold each board. Nail the other two boards beneath it.
- Go outside, and spray paint the entire sign white. Allow the paint to dry thoroughly.
- When the paint is dry, hand paint the words on the sign. A good choice is "Welcome to" on the first board, the mom-to-be's name on the second board, and "baby shower" on the third board. Choose a paint color that's easy to see and that goes with your theme or the baby's gender.
- Allow the paint to dry, and then put up your sign. Decorate the sign with flowers, ribbons, or tissue pom-poms to give it a fun, festive appearance.
Making an Easel Yard Sign
An inexpensive kids' easel makes a great base for a yard sign. The Mala Easel from Ikea is only $15 and makes a great choice for a yard sign. It can even double as a gift for the baby. You'll also need wide-tipped, chalk markers, like Magic Pens, as well as a bunch of helium balloons. This is how to create your sign:
- Place the easel where it will be easy for guests to see it.
- Create your message using the chalk markers. You can use water to erase any mistakes.
- When you're happy with your message, tie a bunch of balloons to the corner of the easel. Guests won't be able to miss it!
Door Signs for Baby Showers
Door signs are a great way to add a little extra welcoming touch to the outside of your home or the entrance to a pavilion or rented room. You can choose colors to complement your home's decor, or you can match your baby shower theme. There are lots of great signs available for purchase, and it's fun and easy to make your own.
Purchasing a Door Sign
Consider one of these fun door signs for your shower:
- Sea Pals Door Sign - This handmade door sign from Etsy shop PenguinPartyPress is a fun choice for a gender-neutral shower. It's 11 inches in diameter, and you can customize it with the name of the mom-to-be. It retails for $10.
- Script Door Sign - This foam sign from Amazon.com measures 16-inches high and features royal blue script on a white background. It retails for about $30.
- Ocean Door Sign - This poster-style door sign from BirthdayDirect is totally customizable and would make a great option for decorating a baby shower. You can print it with the baby's or mom's name, as well as the details about the shower. It retails for about $5.50.
- Baby Shower Door Hanger - This stork shaped door hanger from Beau Coup features a cute stork in neutral colors and proclaims "Special Delivery". It's a cute way to welcome guests and retails for about $40.
Making a Diaper Wreath Door Sign
You can make a diaper wreath welcome sign for your front door and then after the party, give the wreath to the mom-to-be. You'll need a wreath form from the craft store, diapers, curling ribbon, scissors, cardstock, a whole punch, and markers. Here's how you do it:
- Start by creating the cardstock sign. Cut the cardstock so it will easily fit inside the center of the wreath. Punch a hole in each of the upper corners.
- Write your message on the cardstock, such as "Welcome to the shower!"
- Open one diaper and wrap it around the wreath form. Tie it in place on the outside edge with a piece of curling ribbon. Repeat with all the diapers until the wreath form is covered.
- Tie ribbons through the holes in the sign. Tie the sign to the center of the wreath.
Making a Circle Banner for Your Door
A circle banner is fun and easy to make, and there's no need to invest in lots of expensive materials. You'll need white and colored cardstock, markers, a pencil and two circular objects to trace, glue, a hole punch, scissors, and some curling ribbon. This is all you have to do:
- Choose two circular objects to trace. One should be slightly larger than the other. Bowls from your cupboard work perfectly.
- Trace four smaller circles from the white cardstock and four larger circles from the colored cardstock.
- Glue the smaller circles onto the center of the larger circles. Allow the glue to dry.
- Punch two holes in the top of each circle.
- On one circle, use the markers to write a "B." Write "A," "B," and "Y" on the remaining circles.
- Cut a piece of ribbon that's slightly wider than your door. Thread the ribbon through the first B circle and knot it in place behind it. Add the rest of the circles to spell "baby."
- Tape both ends of the ribbon to your door.
Banners for Baby Showers
Banners are a high-impact way to decorate for your baby shower. You can use them inside or outside to add to your theme or welcome guests. There are lots of great banners available for purchase, but you can make one if you can't find something to buy that fits the bill.
Purchasing a Baby Shower Banner
Consider one of these great banner-style signs:
- Bold Bliss Pink Baby Shower Banner - This bright and cheerful banner from PaperStyle is a great choice for both genders. It's made up of pennant flags, each with a letter, and it spells out "baby shower." It retails for $15.
- Personalized Baby Shower Banner - This gender-neutral banner from Oriental Trading Company can be personalized with the name of the mom-to-be. It's made of vinyl for easy use inside or outside. This banner retails for $16.
- Bee Baby Shower Banner - This adorable yellow and black banner from Etsy seller, SoSweetPartyShop, has bumble bees and reads "mommy to bee." It retails for $25.
- Congratulations Banner - This jointed letter banner from Amazon is perfect for any shower. It says "Congratulations," and "B is for Baby." It retails for under $5.
Make a Pennant Banner
You don't have to be an experienced seamstress to sew a pennant banner. All you'll need are some scraps of fabric, a piece of cord, and a sewing machine. You can paint on the letters of your message after the banner is finished. This type of project doubles as a nursery decoration.
Making a Yarn Letter Sign
Cardboard letters from your local craft store take on a whole new look when you decorate them with yarn, and string them together to create a sign for the shower. You can make the sign say anything from "baby" to "welcome." All you'll need is some sturdy rope or twine, the letters in your message, lots of brightly-colored yarn, scissors, and a hot glue gun. Here's how you make this sign:
- Hot glue the end of the yarn to the back of one of the cardboard letters, and wait for the glue to dry.
- Wrap the letter entirely in yarn. On the back, create two hanging loops by knotting the yarn. Hot glue the end of the yarn to secure it.
- Repeat with all the letters.
- String the rope through the yarn loops you made to create your sign. You can hang it inside or outside.
No matter which type of sign you choose, you'll love the way it adds lots of festive style to your party. Whether you make it yourself or purchase the perfect option, your guests and the mom-to-be will love this high-impact decoration.