Celebrating the holidays with a special outfit for baby's first Christmas is wonderful way to kick off the festive season. Christmas is a time of rejoicing with family and friends, and the addition of a new family member makes it more memorable. Whether you are shopping for your baby or someone else's, there's a wide array of styles and options from which to choose.
Boys' First Christmas Outfits
It can be lots of fun dressing little boys up in three-piece suits with bow ties and shiny, black shoes, however, that fancy outfit may not be comfortable after a few hours of wear. Fortunately, you don't have to sacrifice cuteness for comfort because there are many comfortable Christmas outfits for boys.
The most popular ones tend to be one-piece, snap closure, long-sleeved outfits or separates featuring pants and shirts. Style suggestions to get you started include:
- Boys Five-Piece Knickers Set with Red Plaid Vest, Dress Shirt, Bowtie and Newsboy Cap: Your baby boy will look darling in this Christmas-themed outfit. It includes a white dress shirt, red plaid vest with matching bowtie, and black pants and cap. Available in sizes 6-24 months, it retails for under $45 for the complete set. Customer reviews mentioned it looks good but runs small so you may want to order one size larger.
Santa Bodysuit: You've got some competition this year, Santa! This adorable holiday outfit includes a Santa cap and a long-sleeved bodysuit printed to look like Santa's suit complete with a "beard" collar. It's affordably priced at around $30 and comes in sizes newborn and 0-6 and 6-12 months.
Girls' First Christmas Outfits
The selection for girls' first Christmas outfits is broad with styles ranging from dresses, to two-piece pants outfits, to dressy overalls, and onesies. Satin, silk, velour, velvet and cotton are all good fabric choices, and many of these feature lace trim or some other embellishment such as smocking or embroidery as a trim:
- Baby Starters 3-9 Months Christmas Rudolph & Friend Dotted Footed Coverall: Keep your baby girl warm and cozy during Christmas events in this stunning red polka dot, footed coverall. It features two baby reindeer appliques, snap closure placket and dainty faux Mary Jane style shoe appliques on the feet. Available in sizes 3 months and 6 months, this outfit retails for around $15.
- Christmas Classic Tutu Set Outfit: Your little girl will score high marks on the cuteness meter dressed in this brightly colored holiday outfit. The outfit features a onesie embellished with "1st Christmas" with an attached red ruffled tutu, and a lavish bow-adorned headband. The onesie is available in two pretty colors; choose from a shorty length or a standard length tutu. Sizes range from 3-6 months, 6-12 months, and 12-18 months, and the outfit can be customized for an additional fee with options like the baby's name, puff sleeves, and a longer tutu skirt. It retails for under $50.
Unisex First Christmas Outfits
There are many reasons for opting for a gender-neutral outfit when shopping for a baby's Christmas ensemble. The good news is, there are adorable unisex outfits like the following that are appropriate for either sex:
- Best Gift Ever Christmas Bodysuit: Let everyone know you've received the "best gift ever" this Christmas when you outfit your baby in this cute bodysuit. The top is accented with the slogan and features a snap closure bottom. Pair it with a pair of coordinating pants for a full outfit. Available sizes range from newborn to 24 months, and the item retails for about $10.
- Christmas 2-Piece Bodysuit & Pant Set: This clever two-piece set is as appropriate for holiday photos as it is for other Christmas events and celebrations. It features a long-sleeved, white bodysuit embellished with "My First Christmas" and an image of Rudolph. The coordinating elastic-waist pants boast red and white stripes and cuffs. This outfit retails for under $30 and comes in size 6 months.
Comfort and Style
It's a good idea to balance your desire for going all out with lots of ribbons, bows and embellishments with your child's need for comfort. Whether your baby is a newborn or nearly a year old, you'll want to combine style with practicality.
Cotton, cotton blends, brushed velours and other soft, drapeable fabrics make comfy outfits that are stylish, too. Choosing fabrics with soft textures helps minimize irritation to a baby's sensitive skin. If you aren't sure how your child's skin will react to the chosen fabric, do a test run and let him wear the outfit for a short time in advance of parties or other celebrations. If you notice signs of irritation, or if your baby fusses or seems uncomfortable, you might want to rethink that particular outfit.
Finding Baby Christmas Clothing Bargains
The economics of Christmas outfits is they are generally worn only a few times because children outgrow them quickly. This means secondhand outfits are typically in almost-new condition. Your best chance of finding a bargain is by browsing local consignment and thrift shops, seasonal sales, or online auctions.
Enjoy your search for that perfect first Christmas outfit. Remember, you'll never buy this baby another first Christmas outfit, so make it special and take lots of pictures to preserve the memories.