Creating a beautiful nursery is an exciting part of preparing to welcome a new baby. If you're looking for baby nursery furniture, you have a large number of options, which can be a little overwhelming.
Navigate through the maze of furniture for babies to reach the selections that can help you create a warm and inviting atmosphere for your new little one.
Essential Baby Nursery Furniture
Some pieces are necessities that few nurseries go without.
Cribs are perhaps the most recognizable piece of furniture for babies. Many different styles and designs offer seemingly endless design ideas.
- Rectangular cribs have traditional appeal, and there are many different designs that give added warmth and character.
- Round cribs are growing in popularity, and they are ideal if you want this piece to be the central focus of the room.
- Convertible cribs are quite popular as well because they transform from a crib to a child's bed with a few adjustments.
- Canopy cribs add drama and elegance to large nursery rooms. They are available in both round and rectangular designs.
Storage Units and Changing Tables
It's amazing how many things come with such a small baby. Dressers and storage units are essential for organization and design. You can find a place to store and display everything from diapers to baby books.
Changing tables can double as storage units, depending on their designs. Wall mount changing tables are convenient for small nurseries that can't spare the room for bulkier furniture.
Gliders and Rocking Chairs
During late night feedings, you will appreciate having a comfortable seat. Many mothers opt for soft gliders while others prefer the classic look of a rocking chair. For many, an ottoman is a must-have complement to the seat.
If there is an older sibling, you might want to look at children's chairs and rockers to make a special place for baby's big brother or sister.
Beyond the Basics
For many, cribs, storage and seating are quite enough to create a room for the new arrivals. Additional furniture can add character and charm, and decorative accents can complete the atmosphere. Some things you may consider adding include the following:
- Toy box
- Cradle or bassinet
- Diaper stacker
- Waste baskets
The extras depend on the size of the room and your budget. Now that you have an idea of what you will need, it's time to find the furniture.
Buying Baby Furniture
Retailers offer a wide array of furnishing for nurseries. You can buy select pieces or nursery sets.
- Hayneedle has a generous collection of cribs that you can browse by type, brand or price range. In addition, this site sells other pieces of nursery furniture, which makes this a possible one-stop shopping experience.
- Petit Tresor has a stunning collection of baby furniture, including breathtaking iron cribs, like the Pumpkin Iron Crib.
- Bambi Baby sells gorgeous round cribs in wood or iron that are American made.
If the idea of buying furniture for your baby's nursery piece-by-piece seems a little too time consuming, you can find beautiful nursery furniture sets that take the guesswork out of matching pieces for a coherent look.
Build Your Own Baby Furniture
The ultimate custom design is one that you design especially for your little one. You can work with a skilled crafter who can help you. Baby Furniture Plans is a company that provides the guidance necessary to create unique pieces for a nursery.
Antique Baby Furniture
If your home is filled with antiques and you want to carry the theme into the nursery, you can find beautiful antique baby furniture. The challenge is finding items that are safe, especially cribs.
A great alternative is to buy new furniture in antique designs.
- Green Frog Art has a small selection of cribs and changing tables that look as if they were antiques.
- Bratt Decor sells cribs, changing tables and children's furniture in vintage designs.
If you are determined to use authentic antiques, have a crib safety inspector evaluate the crib for safety. The International Association of Certified Home Inspectors (InterNACHI) can help you find an inspector in your area.
Adding the Final Details
Once you have decided on a collection of pieces to fill your baby's nursery, you can begin adding personality using a theme, sentimental items or whimsical pieces of decor. Find ideas for decorating a baby's room for a little inspiration.