Whether you're planning a baby shower with a theme, or you just want to serve some fun food to your guests, there are lots of recipes to choose from. From appetizers to desserts, there are plenty of fun baby shower recipes and ideas to help you create a special day for the mom-to-be.
Five Fun Baby Shower Recipes
These five recipes are suitable for any baby shower, no matter whether the baby is a boy or a girl.
Hatching Chick Deviled Eggs
These fun deviled eggs are made to look like cute hatching chicks. They make the perfect appetizer or side dish for brunch.
- Two dozen eggs
- 8 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Black olives
- Cheddar cheese
- Bring a large pan of water to a boil, and carefully lower the eggs into the water.
- Boil for eight minutes, then quickly remove the eggs from the boiling water, and immerse them in a bowl of ice water.
- Allow the eggs to cool completely, then remove their shells.
- Stand the eggs on their ends, and slice the top 1/2-inch off of each egg, exposing the yolk.
- Set aside the egg tops, and scoop out the yolks.
- Place the yolks in a bowl, and mash them with the mayonnaise, mustard and salt.
- Scoop the yolk mixture back into the eggs, rounding it up slightly above the tops of each egg.
- Chop the black olives into small pieces, and place two pieces on each pile of egg yolk mixture as eyes for the chick.
- Cut the cheddar into small triangles, and place one on each chick beneath the eyes as a beak.
- Place the egg tops onto the yolk mixture to make it appear as though the chicks are hatching from the eggs.
Oven-Baked Fried Pickles
Pickles are the cliche pregnancy craving. Indulge her cravings with these oven-fried pickle chips as a snack food at the shower.
- 1 jar pickle slices
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups bread crumbs
- An assortment of sauces for dipping
- Mix together the flour, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, garlic powder, Cajun seasoning, pepper and bread crumbs together in a medium-sized bowl.
- Beat the eggs together in a second bowl.
- Dip the pickle slices into the egg, then into the bread crumb mixture to coat.
- Arrange them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and place them in on the center rack of the oven.
- Broil on each side for approximately three minutes until crispy.
- Serve with several sauces for dipping.
Watermelon Baby Carriage
Fruit salad is a delicious and healthy addition to any shower or party. This fruit salad is served in a watermelon carved to look like a baby carriage, letting it double as a centerpiece for the table as well.
- 1 medium Watermelon
- 4 orange slices
- 4 lime slices
- 2 cups seedless red grapes
- 1 medium cantaloupe, cut into balls
- 2 cups seedless green grapes
- 2 cups halved fresh strawberries
- Poppy seed salad dressing
- Lay the watermelon 'lengthwise,' and slice a small amount off the bottom of the watermelon so it will lay flat on the table without rolling.
- Measure in approximately five inches from one side of the watermelon, and score a horizontal line around the watermelon to the opposite side.
- Score a second line across the top of the watermelon five inches in from the end, connecting both sides of the horizontal line.
- Cut into the watermelon along this line using a curved or scalloped pattern. This will make the "hood" and opening of the carriage.
- Carefully cut the fruit off of the watermelon rind, scooping it out with a melon baller and setting it aside.
- Take the piece of watermelon rind that was removed from the top, and cut it into the shape of a carriage handle. Set it aside.
- Mix together the watermelon balls with the grapes, cantaloupe, strawberries and salad dressing. Fill the watermelon carriage with the fruit salad.
- Spear an orange slice, followed by a lime slice and a grape onto a toothpick and push it into the bottom side of the watermelon to act as a carriage wheel. Repeat with the remaining citrus slices.
- Place the rind handle on the back of the carriage before serving.
Parchment-Wrapped Salmon Entree
Another fun way to serve food at a baby shower is to wrap or hide something inside something else to mimic the baby's current position within his mother. Try these parchment wrapped salmon packets for a healthy and fun sit-down meal. Recipe makes four servings.
- 1-inch knob ginger, peeled
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 bunch watercress
- Four 6-ounce skinless salmon filets
- 2 large summer squash, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Cut four sheets of parchment paper to 12- by 12-inches and set aside.
- Grate the ginger and the rind of the lemon into a small bowl.
- Juice the lemon, and add the juice to the ginger and rind.
- Add the white wine and chicken broth to the juice mixture
- Brush one side of each of the parchment paper sheets with olive oil
- Place a bunch of watercress on the center of each parchment paper sheet.
- Top the watercress with several slices of summer squash, then a salmon filet.
- Salt and pepper the filets to taste, then pour 1/4 cup of the broth mixture over the salmon.
- Fold the parchment paper into half-moon shaped packets, crimping the edges shut.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let steam for five more minutes inside the packets before serving.
- Serve with wild rice, and allow each guest to open their own packet.
Round out your shower with these chocolate nests.
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6 ounces butterscotch chips
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 ounces chow Mein noodles
- Mini candy eggs
- Rub the butter on the interior cups of a muffin tin. Set the tin aside.
- Melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips in the top half of a double boiler.
- Stir in the peanut butter, and mix until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Pour the noodles into the chocolate mixture, and stir until coated.
- Press the chocolate-covered noodles into the muffin tin with a spoon, gently indenting the centers.
- Chill in the refrigerator until hard - approximately one hour - and fill each nest with two or three eggs.
Have Fun with Your Food
Try any of these fun baby shower recipes the next shower that you throw. Any of them are sure to be a hit with the mom-to-be and guests as well.