Infant shoes are a style accessory, but as your baby grows and begins to stand or walk, the right support and construction is essential. Shopping at the right retailers helps ensure the perfect fit and materials for the littlest family members.
Started in 1919, Stride Rite is a trusted brand known for its innovative and research-based approach to children's shoe production. Stride Rite shoes are built to offer optimal support and comfort for kids. The brand now owns five other children's brands including Keds, Sperry and Hush Puppies. With stores around the world and an online store, Stride Rite shoes are accessible to all and boast sizes from infant through childhood with a variety of options available. Prices range from $14 - $55 in five width options from infant sizes 0 to 3 months up to toddler size 10. With this store, you get quality and classic style.
- Soft Motion Wyatt Sneaker: Get the classic sneaker look in a soft sole shoe for babies with this neutral option. The memory foam insole and grooved bottom give the most comfort with stability. A Velcro tab closure on the top appears to have shoelaces like an adult sneaker but gives you an easy way to get shoes off and on. For around $45 you choose between gold champagne, stone, wheat or white colors in sizes 3-6 with half sizes and three width options.
- Soft Motion Arabelle Shoe: These Mary Jane style soft shoes are perfect for little girls. Available in silver, the upper is made from leather and features little studs around the opening. The Velcro strap helps with dressing and gives your baby the ideal fit. A memory foam insole and grooved bottom keep little ones comfortable as they become mobile. Get sizes 3-6 with medium or wide width options for around $40.
See Kai Run
The mission of children's shoe company, See Kai Run, is to offer stylish kid's footwear that promotes healthy foot development. You can purchase their shoes online through the company website or other children's stores, and sometimes you can find them in a few brick and mortar stores. Infant shoes are categorized as either "Crib" or "First Walker," and range in price from $30 to $50 each. Shipping from the company website is free for orders over $40. Their styles offer more modern and quirky designs that showcase your baby's unique personality.
- Cruz: The Cruz is a "Crib" soft shoe, or slipper, with a soft leather upper and faux shearling lining. These basic shoes feature a wide opening, small Velcro strap across the front, and a nonskid pattern on the bottom. Color options are either berry with a bright pink or navy with a bright blue contrast stitch. Infant sizes small, medium and large are available for around $40.
- Stevie II: Baby Maternity Magazine gives this baby sneaker a 2017 preferred choice award. With the Stevie II, you get the look of a retro sneaker made for an infant's foot needs. The bottom sole of the shoe is rubber and the bottom edge of the shoe upper (that meets the rubber) is a white canvas. The top of the shoe features a hook-and-loop Velcro strap and two faux shoestrings. Choose from gray with red, navy with green, or red with blue. The shoe retails for around $45 and is available in sizes 3 to 6.
Children's shoe retailer, Tiny Soles, prides itself on offering developmentally appropriate, fashionable shoes for kids of all ages. Orders over $20 ship for free from brands like Acorn, Livie and Luca, and Smaller by SKR, among others. Available styles include water shoes and sandals, hikers, snow boots, and dress shoes. Sizes range from 0 to 24 months and are priced between $20-$40. If you want a baby store with more than shoes, Tiny Soles is great because they also sell baby gear, children's clothing and kid's accessories.
- Acorn Easy Bootie: These patterned booties resemble a high-top slipper, and they feature a cinched ankle. The upper is made from fleece, while the bottom is made from a slip-resistant material. Choose between black with primary colored lizards, chocolate with bold colored dots, or brown with tan and blue stripes for $20 each. Available sizes vary by pattern but include 0 - 6, 6 - 12, or 12 - 18 months.
- Livie and Luca Petal: The leather exterior of these platinum colored Mary Janes feature a glitter petal design. Leather lining and an elastic band around the ankle offer optimum comfort while the simple Velcro strap helps you find the perfect fit. A soft sole, made from tan suede and dotted with rubber circles, gives baby good grip and mobility. Sizes 0 - 6, 6 - 12, and 18 - 24 are available for around $40.
Bobux sells shoes for children from infancy through early childhood with different styles for each age group. Started in 1991, Bobux invented the system of pairing soft sole shoes with elastic for babies. The company subscribes to the "barefoot is best" ideal, but partners with podiatrists and footwear specialists to provide great shoes when barefoot isn't an option. Parents with infant safety and development in mind will love this built-in expert advice behind every shoe. Newborn styles are created for infants, soft soles are made for babies starting to crawl, and Step Up styles are for little ones learning to stand and walk. All shoes are made from 100 percent leather. Prices range from $15-$40 and orders over $50 always come with free U.S. shipping.
- Soft Sole Silver Panda: These smooth, silver colored leather slide-ons have an elastic opening that sits low on the ankle. On top of the foot are adorable leather panda characters, one with a bow tie and the other with a bow in the hair. The soles are made from a suede leather for slip resistance. Sizes small, medium, large and extra large are available for under $30. Similar styles feature other creatures like a bunny, owl or dragonfly.
- Bolt Boot: From the Step Up collection, these soft ankle boots are recommended for babies starting to walk. The leather shoes are lined with Merino wool and feature a flexible rubber-like sole. A soft suede patch on the heel adds style to the simple shoes while the side zipper makes these easier to get on. For under $60, Bolt Boots come in sizes 3 to 6 and colors for boys and girls like navy, espresso and rose.
Recognized by the company's signature purple shoe box, Pediped's accolades include a 2016 National Parenting Product Award and the Reader's Choice Best Footwear award for four years in a row from Baby and Children's Product News. These shoes support foot development in children, are available in hundreds of style options, and are made from nontoxic materials. The company makes and sells shoes for babies, toddlers and big kids online and in stores. Infant shoes range in price from $20 to $50 with free shipping on orders over $75. If you love Pediped's shoes, the wide variety available makes it possible for your family to grow with their options.
- Originals Norm: For a more formal boy's shoe try the Norm. This chocolate brown leather baby loafer features light brown contrast stitching and a bright orange leather cord and eyelet detail around the heel. The soft leather bottom has a nonslip pattern while the top features a Velcro strap. Sizes range from 0 - 24 months for around $40 per pair.
- Originals Rhianna: These flashy boots are perfect for baby girls with an edgy style. The short boots are covered with a metallic pink fabric featuring an allover black star pattern. A purple elastic band is wedged on the side of each boot to help with fit, while the bottom of the boot is a soft leather outsole. Sizes 0 - 24 months sell for $45.
MOMObaby aims to make shoes from the best quality materials with high style and a small price tag. Their shoes include soft soles, rubber sole sneakers and leather sandals in girl and boy styles. Most of their styles are priced between $30 - $55 for infant, toddler and little kid sizes. The site boasts free shipping and free returns "anytime and from anywhere." Their innovative and highly creative designs offer modern style without too many frills.
- Ballerina: These 100 percent leather baby ballerina slippers pack high style into a tiny shoe. Dark pink, light pink and white details include faux laces and a tiny bow. An elastic ankle opening allows for easy dressing while the textured suede sole provides nonslip protection. Sizes 0 - 24 months are available for $30.
- Fiery Dragon: MOMObaby's signature design is their soft sole crib shoes featuring a variety of fun characters. These 100 percent leather, navy moccasin-style shoes feature elastic around the ankle and a textured suede sole. For added style, the ankle is made from orange leather and the top of the foot showcases a green and orange leather baby dragon breathing fire. Get sizes 0 - 24 months for only $30. Other fun characters include airplanes, cars and guitars.
Freshly Picked is a specialty shoe store for babies and toddlers. Started by a mom on a mission to make stylish shoes that stayed on her baby's feet, the company is known for its leather moccasins. These soft soled shoes feature a high-top look that provides ankle support and helps keep the shoes from falling off. This feature sets them apart from other manufacturers. Prices range from $30 - $60 with free shipping from the website for U.S. and Canadian orders over $49. Purchase shoes online or locate a retailer near you who carries the brand.
Current styles include classic fringed moccasins, Mary Janes with cutouts on the upper foot, Oxfords with elastic laces, city mocs without the ankle fringe, penny loafers, a sandal and a boot. All shoes are made from 100 percent cowhide leather. The company has even expanded into licensing with a Hello Kitty and Care Bears line. Celebrities like the Kardashians love these cute, comfy, supportive styles.
- Classic Moccasin: These simple slide-on shoes feature an elastic opening and fringe around the ankle seams. Sizes range from 1 to 7 with over 20 solid colors available. For a bold, modern look opt for cool mint, neon pink or golden flax. If you prefer a timeless, neutral look, get them in slate, birch or butterscotch. All colors and sizes sell for $49. Boys and girls look great and feel comfortable in these foot-hugging natural shoes.
- The Sandal: Available in sizes 3 - 12 these warm weather sandals have a rubber sole with a t-shaped strap connected to an ankle strap made from leather. The prong free, sliding buckle offers wearers the ability to adjust the size and makes the shoes easy to put on. Tan and platinum colors are currently in stock for $40 each. The company suggests ordering one size bigger than usual since these run small. Great for babies on the move, this warm weather style goes well with any summer outfit.
Find the Right Fit
A baby's body, including his feet, grows and develops at a rapid rate. Help your baby make the most of each stage with shoes made specifically for infants. Shopping at specialty stores helps you pare down options to the best choices for this phase of life.