Munchkin baby products have been around for more than 25 years and the company is on a mission to become the "most loved baby lifestyle brand in the world." If you're a newbie or a long-time fan of Munchkin products, these tips from one baby gear expert can help you make the most of your baby's gear from spoons to baby gates.
Tips for Selecting Baby Gear
Most baby products have some kind of unique element that makes a big impact in parents' lives, especially Munchkin baby gear. "We try to meet the needs of today's parents in every aspect of their lives, from the nursery to the kitchen, bath and car," says former Munchkin Vice President of Marketing, Doug Gillespie. Their best products focus on "the little things" as their tagline says. However, it's not all about being clever when it comes to creating baby gear, it's also about design, quality, and value for families.
How to Choose a Diaper Pail
A diaper pail can save baby's room and your house from the unpleasant aromas of dirty diapers. When choosing a diaper pail, look for one that will truly cut down on odors such as the Arm & Hammer® Diaper Pail from Munchkin. Gillespie shares, "This product took a regular, everyday diaper pail and made it significantly better by adding the power of Arm & Hammer® baking soda to eliminate odors in the nursery." Other factors to consider include:
- Overall cost - Consider the cost of the pail and the cost of any special bags or odor-blocking cartridges you'll need to buy over time.
- Size - If you have more than one child in diapers, a larger pail will come in handy.
- Ease of use - Diaper pails that use a step or similar method for opening will be easier to use when your holding baby and a dirty diaper.
How to Choose a Baby Bath
Today's baby baths include tons of helpful features to keep your baby safe and comfortable at bath time. When choosing a baby bath tub consider:
- Baby's age - Newborns need more support so look for a tub with modification options that grow with baby for the best value.
- Safety - Look for safety features like water level lines or Munchkin's Duck Tub with a bathwater temperature gauge to take away the guesswork of safe bathing.
- Size - Get the dimensions of your bathtub before buying a baby tub as it will probably be used inside your tub for easy cleanup.
Choosing Products to Help With Solid Foods
When you're ready to start introducing solids, look for products like a mesh feeder to help keep baby safe. Factors to consider include:
- Washing - Something that's dishwasher safe or easy to clean with a sponge will be most convenient for you.
- Mesh size- Make sure the holes in the mesh are very small so no large chunks of food can pass through.
- Materials - Since this will be in baby's mouth, make sure it's made of safe, approved materials and doesn't include paints or stickers that can come off.
Choosing Baby Toys
Baby's mostly love exploring what's already in your house, but providing exciting and entertaining baby toys can keep them out of trouble. When choosing baby toys, look for these features:
- Sounds and colors - Engage all of baby's senses with toys like Munchkin's Mozart Magic Cube® that have soft sounds safe for baby's sensitive ears and grow with your child.
- Educational component - Look for toys that help with fine motor skills or learning basic concepts such as words and numbers.
- Easy to clean - Choose toys that can be cleaned in the washing machine or dishwasher or at least can be wiped down.
Choosing Baby's First Cup
Transitioning from bottles to cups can be a challenge, but some products make it a little easier for toddlers and parents. Munchkin's Miracle® 360° cup is a great example of a cup that uses baby's natural sucking motion with a spill-proof lid. Cups can be used to transport water for older babies or bottles and can become their first cup when they're ready. Features you want most in a cup are:
- Spill-proof - Many cups claim to be spill-proof, but only some live up to that claim. Watch user videos and read reviews before buying to find cups that are truly spill-proof.
- Easy to use - While it seems like straws would be a natural fit for baby's first cup, they can actually be hard to use so look for a cup baby can sip from.
- Comfortable fit - Cups with a small base that fit easily in baby's hand and car cup holders are ideal.
How to Choose a Baby Formula
If you'll be feeding your baby formula, there's a lot that goes into choosing a good one. Modern options like Grass Fed formula from Munchkin, which is made from 100 percent certified grass fed milk, continue to provide even more choices for different circumstances. Factors to consider in selecting the right formula for your baby are:
- Ingredients - Choose a formula that is recommended by an organization like the American Pediatric Association or includes similar ingredients. Keep in mind any food allergies or concerns your child has.
- Cost - While cost shouldn't be the top factor in your choice, you want to make sure you can afford the formula for at least one year.
- Availability - Take a look at what's available at your local stores so you know what you could get on short notice.
Munchkin Baby Products
Like other big name baby companies, Munchkin users can get the best bang for their buck by understanding what the company offers and how to best use their specific products.
"Munchkin designs innovative products for babies and toddlers that help make the lives of today's parents a little easier and a little more exciting," says Gillespie. When you look at the history of the company, you can see they are driven by innovation and providing the best products for modern families.
- The company was founded in 1991 by innovative dad Steve Dunn.
- As of 2018 the company holds over 200 patents.
- Munchkin products are latex-free.
- Milkmakers products are now part of the Munchkin line as are Grass Fed formulas.
Where to Buy Munchkin Products
Munchkin is available at nationwide retailers, including Amazon, Target and Walmart as well as over 25,000 specialty outlets. "We also have an easy-to-use online store, and store locator function on our website, Munchkin.com," says Gillespie. You can also buy Munchkin products wholesale from UK company Baby Brands Direct.
If you purchase any Munchkin products, you can register them on the Munchkin Product Registration page. They'll contact you to let you know if there are any recalls of the items you bought so you can always feel safe using them. The company also lists all its recalls on their website which you can find under the tab "Recalls" at the bottom of the website.
Munchkin's blog features articles for parents and caregivers about food, parenting, play, and the company's products. If you want to learn more facts, tips, and tricks about what the company has to offer and how to use their products, check out the posts on the blog. Munchkin also teams up with "Mommy Bloggers" to help spread the word about their new products as they did with the Arm & Hammer™ Diaper Pail. Gillespie shares how much the company values parent input saying, "Part of my passion for this company comes from the fact that I am the father of two great kids, who for some time served as my own mini product testing panel."
Munchkin Aims to Make Parenting Easier
Munchkin products always have kids and parents in mind. Sometimes they help by making parenting decisions easier such as "not asking them to choose between what's right for their children and what's right for their wallet," shares Gillespie. This includes wood bowls and spoons as well as insulated stainless steel sippy cups offered at a great price. Whatever the inspiration, Munchkin is always looking to excite, delight and make life easier for today's parents.