If you're expecting a baby boy and want to give him a name that no one else in his class will have, there are lots of fun ways to come up with some unique options. From combination names to less-common variations on today's hottest trends, there's no reason your little guy can't sport the most unique name on the block.
20 Unique Baby Boy Names
Variations on a Theme
If you look at the top 100 names for baby boys, you'll notice that certain themes stand out as popular naming trends. You can capitalize on one of these themes while still choosing something really unusual for your son. Consider some of these options:
- Zaidon - There's a popular trend of boy's names that end in an "N," but don't expect to find Zaidon anywhere in the top 100. In fact, according to the Social Security List of Popular Baby Names, it ranks way down at number 433. There's no established meaning for this name.
- Moses - While there are many religious baby names in the top 100, Moses ranks 546. An important figure in the Bible, Qur'an, and Torah, Moses is known as a prophet in many of the great religions of the world. The name may come from the Hebrew word for "to draw," as in pull out of the water.
- Lonan - Celtic names like Aidan and Liam are very popular, but Lonan is a lesser-known cousin, not ranking anywhere in the top 100. This attractive name means "blackbird."
- George - In general, classic names are major players in the top 100, but there are some that have not retained their previous popularity. George is one great example. Ranking 166, this ancient name means "farmer." It's also a royal baby name for a boy.
- Memphis - There's a major trend in naming babies after places, but you won't find the name Memphis in the top 100. Instead, it ranks 751.
Word names have long been popular for girls, but they aren't quite as common for boys. There are lots of wonderful options out there, however. One of these might be perfect for your new baby:
- True - This old-fashioned word name is a beautiful choice for a family that values loyalty and honesty. It's not in the top 1000 names, according to the Social Security Administration (SSA).
- Lyric - Another beautiful option for a little boy is Lyric, which ranks at number 830. It's perfect for a musical or poetic family.
- Lake - A great option for nature-lovers, Lake is an attractive name that isn't even in the top 1000.
- Sterling - In addition to conjuring up the image of sterling silver, this name also has the association of being cool and honest. It's number 684 on the SSA list.
- Onyx - While most stone names are reserved for girls, this fantastic option has a distinctly male sound. It doesn't rank in the SSA top 1000.
Ancient Greek and Roman names have classical appeal, but many of them aren't very common. These names sound strong and well-established, and they offer a great way to give your child a name that no one else has. Consider these options:
- Aurelius - Ranking nowhere in the top 1000, Aurelius is a handsome Latin name meaning "golden."
- Cassius - Pronounced "cash-us" or "cass-see-us," this ancient name is of Roman origin and means "hollow." It ranks number 928 on the SSA list.
- Apollo - Apollo was the Greek god of the sun and light, as well as poetry, healing, and music. It's number 993 on the SSA list.
- Orion - A famous hunter in Greek mythology, as well as a constellation in the night sky, Orion ranks number 419.
- Augustus - A Latin name meaning "revered," Augustus ranks only 917 on the SSA list.
There are a lot of great names out there that have a cool sound and aren't common. Whether for their associations or simply for the way they sound, these names conjure up confidence and charm. One of these may be perfect for your little guy:
- Nash - Ranking at number 521, Nash has a classic sound without being at all common. It comes from the English surname, meaning "near or at the ash tree."
- Rafe - A German name meaning "wolf-counsel," you won't find Rafe anywhere in the top 1000 names.
- Arlo - Forever associated with folk singer Arlo Guthrie, this name, which means "hill," ranks only number 818 in popularity.
- Lux - Meaning "light" and also conjuring the image of luxury, this cool name is nowhere in the top 1000.
- Blaze - Coming in at number 752, Blaze isn't a name you'll encounter very often.
Tips for Choosing a One-of-a-Kind Name
Choosing a unique name for your little man is a fun and challenging process. Keep these tips in mind to help:
- Consider the meaning you want, and then find a name to match. This may give you some unusual options.
- Try names from other cultures and nationalities to find interesting ideas.
- Combine names you love or the names of people in your family for a unique option.
- Choose something that isn't really a name, and turn it into something to call your child.
Names with Originality and Creativity
No matter which unusual name you choose for your son, you'll know you won't be hearing it at every gathering of children. What's more, the thought you put into naming your child will show the world just how much you care about originality and creativity.