You may be at the shopping mall or at your favorite restaurant and hear mothers call their children by some unusual cute baby names. Your immediate thought might be, that would be a good name for my baby!
Unique Baby Names
While many of the celebrities are getting attention with the names they choose for their newborns, not everyone is fond of them. Names like Ever, Happy, Lucky, and Apple are not common and do not hold overall parental appeal. Some may find these are more like nicknames than given names. However, if you want to steer away from the traditional age-old names like John, James, Mary, and Susan, there are some unique names you might find appropriate as well as cute.
A List of Unusual Cute Baby Names
Names for Boys
- Gryphon or Griffin
Names for Girls
Of course, while some may find the above names cute, others may not. As the expression goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Before naming a child, there are things to think about. Wait to fill in that birth certificate; first ask yourself the following questions.
- What does the name mean? What is its origin? You will need to know this. In every culture, the meaning of a name or what's in a name holds significance. Blasia might sound pretty and is definitely unusual, however, as you research the name, you find it is of Latin origin, a variation of Blaise, and means, "one who stutters."
- Does the name sound like something inappropriate or similar to something that might get confused with that name you think is cute? In other words, if you name your baby Dunn, will others be thinking that you are calling him Done? The same goes for Berry, a botanical name and possibly a derivative of Bernard. While it is an uncommon name and can be used for both male and female, most will want to spell it Barry. Do you want your child to have a name that is constantly being misspelled?
- What will your child's initials be? You don't want to name a baby Felecia Ann Taylor because FAT will be hard initials to have to live with.
- How will this first name and last name sound together? Say the names aloud a number of times and see if they have a nice flow and ring to them. For example, consider the joke about the family with the last name of Pig. When they named their infant daughter Ima, her full name was Ima Pig.
- If you choose a middle name, how will all three names fit together and sound when spoken at once? Again, make sure your child's names sound pleasant when spoken. If your last name is difficult to spell and pronounce, you may want to do your child a favor and provide him with a first name that is easier to spell and say.
As you go over the list of unusual cute baby names, make sure you can live up to the name you choose for your precious baby. Advice which is freely given about naming a child is: caution and more caution. Children can be cruel on the playground. They like to tease one another. Remember that the name you give your baby will have to last him for the rest of his life. You want a name that will have meaning, not be odd, and be something a child can be proud of when he is five on up to age fifty-five. Don't forget he won't always be a cute cuddly baby unable to talk. One day he may just sit across the table from you and ask, "Why did you name me Odolf?"